"Ma" Malpas (ocassionally known as "Fanny") was born in Abergavenny
in September, 1894, and her secondary education was at the County and Intermediate
School in Abergavenny from 1909 to 1913.
In 1915, she started teacher training at the Salisbury Diocesan Training College,
and left in 1917 with her Board of Education Certificate.
She appears to have moved straight to South Shields, where she spent her first 13
years of teaching at the various Westoe schools. She started at the Westoe Boys'
Elementary in August, 1917, which she left in December 1926. Just over two years
later, in March 1929, she joined the Westoe Central Boys' School, in August
of 1929 she moved to the Westoe Central Girls' School, and in February 1930
she went back to the Westoe Boys' Elementary.
Then, on 1st January, 1931, she joined the South Shields High School, where
she stayed through the move to Harton, but for only two years - on 31st August, 1938
she left to teach at Cleadon Park Junior School.
Possibly as a result of the teacher shortages during the war, she returned to the
Boys' High School on 11th September, 1941, where she remained until August,
1947, when she moved to the High School for Girls.